Saturday, September 14, 2013

Roasting Peppers

After assessing just how many green tomatoes I'm dealing with, I thought it might be a good idea to try to making some green salsa or chile verde sauce.  This is the recipe I wanted to use (replacing the tomatillos with green tomatoes) so I was in need of roasted peppers!  Luckily, Joe's aunt Mary Kay had offered up the use of her Green Egg for just such an occasion. 


We met up at the Olympia farmer's market and picked out these beauties.  


Just a little time in the big green egg, and they become...


...charred and blistered! Yeah!


Then we pulled off the skins...


...leaving this pile of pepper meat.  Or pepper flesh.  Any ideas on a better word to refer to this stuff?  I prefer "meat,"  because "flesh" is disgusting.  The actual peppers are really tasty, though!

We roasted a few extra that I plan to make into a King Ranch Casserole, like the one that I was lucky enough to sample at Mary Kay and Michael's.  It also incorporates some of the chicken of the woods mushrooms, so we'll be using up some more of our wild food find.


She was also kind enough to give me some of her gorgeous tomatoes, since mine are all splotchy and green.  Although I feel a bit bad on the subject of tomatoes; I did have to be the bearer of bad news when I noticed that their big, leafy plants were starting to show the first signs of blight.  So that means they'll have to pick them all and ripen them indoors, too. 


Michael's lovely dahlias


The dahlias paired with pears (peared with pairs?) from outside.  I think the biggest of the pears weighed 1 lb 11 oz!  

No comments:

Post a Comment